Access Engage programming in the Eventsential app or on your desktop. Click here to learn how to access the virtual event. It’s not too late to register! Registration is open throughout the duration of the conference. Join us at any time!
At Engage 2022, up to 20 CE credits will be available via 14 pre-recorded virtual education sessions – which can be accessed at any time – and four live virtual sessions on Saturday, which will be recorded. All education sessions will be available to attendees until March 5. Learn more about Engage education sessions here.
Upcoming Events on Friday, Feb. 4
Schedule at a Glance
- House of Delegates Meeting (1 p.m. ET)
- SACA Business Meeting (1 p.m. ET)
- American Black Chiropractors Association Meeting (1:30 p.m. ET)
- President’s Reception and Awards (5 p.m. ET)
- SACA Social Event (8 p.m. ET)
Thursday, Feb. 3 News in Brief
New ACA Leadership Team Announced
Members of the ACA House of Delegates voted earlier this week to fill two seats on the association’s six-member Board of Governors (BOG). BOG members subsequently met yesterday and elected a president and vice president to lead the board for the next year. ACA’s leadership team for 2022-23 is:
- President: Michele Maiers, DC, MPH, PhD, of Minneapolis, Minn.
- Vice President: Leo Bronston, DC, MAppSc, of Onalaska, Wis.
- Eric Benson, DC, FIAMA, FICC of Grand Island, Neb.
- Robert C. Jones, DC, APC, of Albuquerque, N.M.
- Michael R. Martin, DC, of Plano, Texas
- Steve C. Roberts, JD, LLM, of St. Louis, Mo.
Finishing her term on the board this year is Kathy Boulet, DAAPM, DC, Dipl. Ac., of Lewiston, Maine, who served as vice president over the past year.
Faculty Members Discuss Increasing Collaboration
In the Faculty ACA (FACA) meeting today, FACA President Dr. Jennifer Illes led a discussion on how to increase cross-collaboration between faculty at different institutions and how chiropractic schools are handling the COVID-19 pandemic in 2022. SACA representative Lexi Aruck also provided an update to the faculty members on the current activities of chiropractic students and SACA members.
SACA/Next Gen Members Prep for Congressional Meetings
During an advocacy training session for SACA and Next Gen members, Steve Kline, ACA’s associate director for federal government relations, provided advice on how to prepare for and what to expect during virtual meetings with Members of Congress and their staff as part of ACA’s upcoming Virtual Day on the Hill, Feb. 24. He said that participants can find additional resources to help them prep for discussions about ACA’s Medicare bill at www.HR2654.org (under resources). The Medicare bill, he noted, has strong bipartisan support, with 116 cosponsors split evenly between Democrats and Republicans. Getting even more cosponsors to sign on to the bill is the goal.
ACA, State Affiliates Meet to Share Updates on Key Issues
Members of the ACA State Advocacy Committee met today with representatives of states participating in the ACA Affiliate Program to encourage more collaboration as well as share updates on key issues such as the Medicare modernization bill (H.R. 2654), state scope, and reimbursement. The meeting marked the third time that ACA state affiliates have met as a group. Advocacy Committee Chair Mike Martin, DC, pointed out that there were only four states at the first meeting, while today there are 13 states participating. The Affiliate program is mutually beneficial: It provides states access to information and resources developed by ACA, while states provide ACA with an established infrastructure that can take action locally on important issues. “We want everyone pulling in the same direction when we can, when it makes sense,” said Dr. Martin.
Next Gen Announces Heart Award Recipient
Congratulations to Mai Ta, DC, of Kansas City, Mo. (pictured), who received the Next Gen Heart Award for inspiring a spirit of friendly, good fellowship within Next Gen and ACA with her uplifting attitude as well as her collaborative work on ACA initiatives, working groups and committees.
Next Gen Elects New Leadership Team
Next Gen, ACA’s group for early-career practitioners, elected a new leadership team during its annual meeting at Engage. The Next Gen 2022-23 leadership committee includes:
- Chair: James Walters, DC
- Vice Chair: Danielle Pettet, DC
- Sarahfina Wipf, DC
- Mitchell Long, DC
- Alli Totzke, DC
SACA Presents Annual Awards
The Student American Chiropractic Association (SACA) presented its annual awards today during Engage. Congratulations to the winners:
- Northeast College of Health Sciences received the Chapter of the Year Award, which recognizes a chapter that demonstrates extraordinary teamwork, collaboration and commitment to further the mission, vision and values of ACA, and is a positive, visible force on both the national and campus levels.
- The University of Bridgeport School of Chiropractic received the Most Improved Chapter of the Year Award, which recognizes a chapter that demonstrated growth and leadership despite facing challenges in previous years.
ACF Awards Three Scholarships
The American Chiropractic Foundation (ACF) awarded three scholarships to SACA members. Each scholarship, worth $1,500, promotes a specific theme, and recipients were selected based on their demonstrated commitment to that theme. Congratulations to:
- Zachary Scott (Palmer College of Chiropractic West): Community Leadership Award
- Samuel Schut (Palmer College of Chiropractic): Research Leadership Award
- Marcda Hilaire Brunot (Keiser University): Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Award
Standard Process Presents Annual Scholarship Awards
ACA corporate partner and Engage 2022 sponsor Standard Process presented its annual scholarship awards to four SACA members. Each received a $5,000 prize in recognition of essays they submitted as part of the competition. Congratulations to:
- Luke Bergner (Cleveland University, Kansas City, College of Chiropractic)
- Marcda Brunot (Keiser University)
- Candace Devito (University of Bridgeport School of Chiropractic)
- Charles Dominguez (Parker University)
Special Thanks to Engage 2022 Sponsors: